Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Silence Is Deafening

I hate it when I think I'm funny and nobody comments on my brilliant-ness.

It's like when you're in a play-- a comedy-- and the audience doesn't laugh!!? Even though they think the play is funny! They come up later and say "Oh, that was hilarious!" Well then, why weren't you laughing?!!????

I think some audiences don't laugh out loud because they have this sense of like "Oh, we don't want to disrupt the play with our laughter" or "I'm gonna hold in my laughter, because I want to be able to hear what's coming next.." But, HELLLLLLOOO?!?! We're actors!! We need the instant gratification!!!! (Besides, good actors pause the play until the laughter subsides!)

I don't think audiences realize just how much we feed off their energy.. And when they don't laugh at the funny stuff... It-- well, more than anything.. it just confuses us. We often wonder why it didn't get the laugh. We do our our best not to bring the play down because of it-- but it's hard. You move on, and you deal with it the best you can... Because that's the way of it... Enrapt as they may be... some audiences are just stubbornly silent. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment